St. John Church in the wilderness
Fifteen minutes’ walk from McLeod Ganj, is this Anglican church lies in the forest near Forsythe Gunj. This neo—Gothic stone church was built in 1852 and has some fine Belgian stained-glass windows. It miraculously survived the 1905 earthquake – only the spire collapsed. A memorial to Lord Elgin stands in the churchyard. The British Viceroy died in Dharamshala and is buried here. Visiting hours for the church and cemetery are 10 am to 5 pm each day.